Pages

Accent

I feel a lot better today.  I have rested and everything seems clearer.  Sleep deprivation really messes with me.  I was just watching television and this commercial came on with a lady with an accent.  I really like accents.  I'm sure I'm not alone thinking this.  Accents are attractive.  Well, at least most accents.  I'm sure there are some that aren't as appealing.  Why do people like accents? I guess people like the difference; it's something new.  When I say accents, everyone probably thinks about British, French, Italian, or Spanish accents.  Well, that's just Europe.  You may think about an African, Canadian, or Australian accent.  Do you ever wonder what American accents sound like to other people around the world?  I'm curious because I don't think I have an accent but to someone from another part of the world, it may be easy to recognize my accent.  So now, I'll be thinking about how I sound to other people.

2 comments:

  1. this is very interesting for me, i am from the Southern part of the U.S.A. and for me when i go home i can hear my family and they sound very strange to me because i can really hear the southern draw they have and the amount of slang they used that is tied to that region...

    i am sure others have this experience if they are away from "home" for long...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point. I have been away from home for a while as well. When I go home, I notice my families accents but they notice mine as well. I don't think I have an accent but I guess I have picked up some sayings from my travels. I don't realize it until I'm home and my cousins point out how I say things differently. After a week or two, I pick up a bit of my old accent.

    ReplyDelete