Pages

MultitasKing

We live in a world where we rely on multitasking.  We multitask and the devices we use have to multitask.  Now, just because we multitask doesn't mean that we are good at it.  Often men have a hard time multitasking.  Of course there are exceptions, but women are usually better at multitasking.  Personally, I'm not good at multitasking.  I will admit it.  I can do multiple tasks in a time period but not simultaneously.  Things move smoother for me when I devote an amount of time to focus on one thing...then a certain amount of time for the next item...and so on.  This works to give the illusion that I am a multitasker because it seems like I am working on all these things in an hour.  I am working multiple items, just not simultaneously.  I have tried to truly multitask but it just does not work for me.  If I'm working on something and someone is talking to me.  During this time period, there are times when I'm missing parts of the discussion and other times where I'm losing my place on what I'm working on.  This means that it is about prioritizing in the moment.  At any given time, I'm deciding which is more important.  The conversation and my work may be equally important but some parts of the conversation may be extra or repetitive.  During this part, I would focus on work but if I hear words that trigger me to pay attention, then I would focus back to the conversation.  In summary, some people can truly multitask and I admire them for it.  If you struggle to multitask, then do multiple tasks in a sequence to create the illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment