Pages

Public Speaking

I am an introvert; I tend to shy away from crowds...normally.  Yet, I crave the spotlight.  Weird, huh? Most people dislike public speaking and I am no exception.  I can and I will do public speaking but I usually only do it when I really have to.  I get nervous; my voice my lack confidence.  My eyes may dart from side to side as I avoid eye contact.  I would never say I'm a great public speaker.  My speech skills my change from day to day.  But there are times when I'm focused and...my voice is calm and confident and I give good eye contact to the audience.  It's not that I'm less introverted in that moment but more that I am welcoming the challenge.  It's still an uncomfortable situation but I'm not allowing myself to back down.  After all, what's the worst that could happen?  Embarrassment...I think I could live with that.

2 comments:

  1. Check out this article on introverts, DG. It defines pretty much everything about the way I am, especially when it comes to public speaking. I have a feeling you will identify also.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/2696/

    Jimbo90silver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That was an interesting article. Growing up people often said I was shy. At first I thought they were correct. As I got older, I knew I was no longer shy. There was something else. I am an introvert and not shy. Some people don't understand that. I hope you enjoy Thoughts by TigerDG.

    ReplyDelete