Pages

Carnival



For most people, Natalie Merchant is a well-known name.  I've recently become acquainted with her music.  I heard one of her songs on VH1 and instantly liked the way she delivered it.  VH1 said Tigerlily was a really good (perhaps classic) album by Natalie Merchant so I decided to find it.

I don't think it was the first time I've heard Natalie Merchant's songs.  I used to work in a local supermarket when I was  a teenager and I remember hearing lots of 80's songs playing.  Some songs spoke to me but I didn't know the artists.  I was also young and heavy into Rap and RnB so I only listened to what I'm guessing would be called Alternative music while I was at work.  When I hear songs a few times and they are catchy, I learn them quickly.

Back to Natalie Merchant, Tigerlily, and Carnival, I listened to her album and enjoyed the entire album.  When Carnival first came on, I didn't recognize the song, especially not the lyrics.  Once it got to the hook, I recognized the song.  I had heard it before but I had never really listened to it.

"Have I been blind?  Have I been lost?  Inside myself and my own mind?  Hypnotized?  Mesmerized by what my eyes have seen?" (Natalie Merchant, Carnival)

Natalie is comparing a part of what she's seen in life to a carnival.  It is a very interesting outlook.  It makes me wonder, "Are we just going through the motions?"  Are we living our lives or are we just going along the road set for us?  I think there are definitely times in our lives that we are just on auto-pilot.  There are also times in our lives where we get to a point where we can choose to continue down that road or take a different route.  The problem with that is that you have to be alert to notice when that time comes.  Otherwise, you'll just pass right by it.

While a carnival can be entertaining, I don't want to spend my whole life inside one.  I don't wan't be be "Hypnotized, mesmerized by what my eyes have seen." (Natalie Merchant, Carnival).  I want to be awake and surprise life and myself by taking some different paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment